News broke on Twitter late Wednesday night that Benson Henderson was pulled from his Bellator Japan fight against Michael Chandler due to injury. Replacing him will be Sidney Outlaw.
“I got an injury, and I will not be able to participate in the December 29th festivities in Japan,” said Henderson in a video announcement on Twitter. “I’m hoping that Bellator reschedules it for later on – Chandler and I.”
The new matchup between Chandler and Outlaw will be at a catchweight of 160 lbs.
Outlaw returned to Bellator last month, defeating Roger Huerta via unanimous decision. His previous fight in Bellator was in 2014, when he got a win over Mike Bannon.
He has fought in larger American regional promotions like CFFC, Island Fights and Ring of Combat.
Chandler’s fight against Henderson was meant to be a rematch, as they previously matched up in the UFC, where Chandler won via decision.
Chandler’s last fight was a loss to Patricio Pitbull in just over a minute via punches.
Bellator Japan will happen on December 29th at 10 PM EST on the Paramount Network and DAZN, live from Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Here’s how Bellator Japan, also known as Bellator 237 looks as of right now:
- Fedor Emelianenko (38-6) vs. Rampage Jackson (38-13) (Heavyweight)
- Sidney Outlaw (14-3) vs. Michael Chandler (19-5) (160 lbs Catchweight)
- Lorenz Larkin (21-7) vs. K-Taro Nakamura (35-10-2) (Welterweight)
- Ilara Joanne (9-4) vs. Kana Watanabe (8-0-1) (Flyweight)
- Goiti Yamauchi (24-4) vs. Daron Cruickshank (22-12) (Lightweight)
- Andy Nguyen (6-8) vs. AI (5-1) (Strawweight)
- Ren Hiramoto vs. Takahiro Ashida (68 kg Kickboxing)
- Ryuichiro Sumimura (14-7) vs. Jon Tuck (10-5) (Lightweight)
- Jarred Brooks (15-2) vs. Haruo Ochio (19-7-2) (Strawweight)
- Hiroto Uesako (16-8) vs. Yusuke Yachi (20-9) (Lightweight)